Drill bit size for #1 gauge tuning pins

Ron Nossaman rnossaman@cox.net
Mon, 04 Oct 2004 23:33:31 -0500

>   Ed
>   For me It's the flagpoling that is  at issue. Yes They turn like a dream.

Yes, it is, and yes, they do.

>I have recently this year been capping my stwy/Bolduc block with a thin
>cap of delignit 5/16ths inch & this does help the flagpoling & the
>tendency for the top of the pin hole to get hogged out.

I don't see how it helps flagpoling, but it does provide a solid and tight
fit for the pin just where it needs to be - at the top of the block.
Personally, I don't see much point in wasting an expensive block as dead
filler underneath the Delignit cap that's doing virtually all the work. In
my opinion, the cheap rotary cut multi lamination blocks are ideal for this
use.

>  I know drilling speeds have much to do with ultimate pin fit but even
> using consistent feed rates,air  & the same size bits, I can still get
> some discrepencies in torque. ie. I usually use .257 for no 2s but I
> ended up reaming the last Bolduc block with a no.261 to get a more tuner
> friendly fit.

If you double drilled, most of those problems would magically go away.

Ron N