Drill bit size for #1 gauge tuning pins

Erwinspiano@aol.com Erwinspiano@aol.com
Mon, 4 Oct 2004 23:21:32 EDT

In a message dated 10/4/2004 7:27:25 PM Pacific Standard Time,  A440A@aol.com
writes:
  Ed
  For me It's the flagpoling that is  at issue. Yes They  turn like a dream.
   Another factor is how thick is the plate flange & the  unsupported part of
the pin above the block. If the plates thin not as much  flagpoling. I have
recently this year been capping my stwy/Bolduc block  with a thin cap of
delignit 5/16ths inch & this does help the flagpoling  & the tendency for the top of
the pin hole to get hogged out. The delignit  is denser & handles more abuse
from tuning pin bend ing & turning. It's  originally a Yamaha technique.
 I know drilling speeds have much to do with ultimate pin fit but even  using
consistent feed rates,air  & the same size bits, I can still get  some
discrepencies in torque. ie. I usually use .257 for no 2s but I ended up  reaming
the last Bolduc block with a no.261 to get a more tuner friendly  fit. I hate
tight pins. A piano with tight pins will spend more of it's life  time being out
of tune than one that isn't as snug for a lot of reasons.
  Yes Ed too many variables
   Dale

Dale  writes:
I would not recommend no. ones in Ds or other heavy  tension  scales unless
they have plate bushing. I find the D I did  with ones has more pin  flex
than
desired & the tuning is a bit  more squirrly than before it was  restrung.

Hmmm,  this is  interesting!
Four years ago, I restrung the D at Vanderbilt  with #1 pins in a new
Steinway block.  The torque tapers from around  125 in/lbs in the bass to 100
in the
treble, (I used the two sizes of  drill bits and also increased the feed
speed
at the top end to give a  little looser hole).
The piano tunes like a  dream.  I wish all the D's I tune, (six of them
last week!) were this  easy to place the pins.  Soooo.... I dunno. There are
lot of  variables in something this subjective.
Regards,