Drill bit size for #1 gauge tuning pins

Erwinspiano@aol.com Erwinspiano@aol.com
Mon, 4 Oct 2004 21:53:17 EDT

Hi Ed
   I would not recommend no. ones in Ds or other heavy tension  scales unless
they have plate bushing. I find the D I did with ones has more pin  flex than
desired & the tuning is a bit more squirrly than before it was  restrung
  Dale:

Greeting,s
I use #1 pins on all my rebuilds.  I  usually use either factory Steinway
or Bolduc blocks.  Normally, I  use a C bit in the bottom 44 pins and a D bit
in the treble.   Sometimes if the block feels a little tight, I will go to an
bit,(.250")  in the top two octaves, just for ease of tuning.
Regards,

Ed Foote RPT