Drill bit size for #1 gauge tuning pins

Erwinspiano@aol.com Erwinspiano@aol.com
Mon, 4 Oct 2004 21:50:49 EDT

In a message dated 10/4/2004 3:38:53 PM Pacific Standard Time,
KurtGearheart@comcast.net writes:
  Kurt
 I find . 250 works best If your pounding them in with a hammer ,  I don't
know about a palm nailer. I assume this is a Jacob Zech made in  S>F.
  I worked on one 8 ft. Something for the guys granddaughter  here in
Modesto. It has a crack at the strut that needs repair but other wise  ornate &
interesting. The sound is nothing to write home about. early  1900s. Aren't ya glad
you asked?

 Dale

Hi  List.

Rebuilding a 1875 Zeck square grand.
Replugged old (case  integrated) pinblock with about 200 maple pinblock
material plugs, West  System. (pant pant)
Plate back on after seating/fitting/setting  bearing.
Narrow, and I mean narrow, bushingless plate tuning pin  holes.
Drilling through plate for hole accuracy.
Need to put in  #1 gauge tuning pins, even then a tight fit.
Experiments with torque of #1  tuning pins in several different drill bit
holes in pinblock material outside  of piano suggest using a straight old brad
point 1/4" - .250 bit for optimum  torque. 1/64 smaller feels tight, 1/64 bigger
feels loose.
Experiences with  drilling maple pinblocks for #1 gauge tuning pins or
suggestions in  general most welcome.

Thanks in advance.
Kurt