OT Windows XP SP2

barr8345@bellsouth.net barr8345@bellsouth.net
Mon, 4 Oct 2004 17:40:13 -0500

When I installed this update, anything that I had stored in my Outlook =
Express email folders disappeared on me.

Norm Barrett
  ----- Original Message -----=20
  From: Cy Shuster=20
  To: Pianotech=20
  Sent: Monday, October 04, 2004 4:47 PM
  Subject: OT Windows XP SP2

  I've just installed XP SP2. Its focus is on improving security, and it =
has some nice features. However, it's a huge update (around 50 Meg to =
download), and overall takes a couple of hours to install (downloading =
is just the beginning!). Pick a time when you don't need the computer =
for anything urgent, as there's a chance that you may have to fiddle =
with it to get some particular program working again (TuneLab Pro's =
fine).

  If you only have dialup access, you will definitely want to order the =
CD from Microsoft, rather than attempt downloading. If you have =
Automatic Updates turned on, you might want to turn them off this month, =
so Microsoft doesn't download them for you (it's on Control Panel).

  Here's an overview of the new features:
  http://www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/sp2/default.mspx

  Before installing SP2, check your hardware vendor's site for any =
SP2-specific updates which you may need to apply first:
  http://www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/sp2/oemlinks.mspx
  If your PC isn't on this list, go to Control Panel | System and click =
the "Support Information" button.

  Also before installing, check this list of software for programs which =
may be affected (notably old versions of ZoneAlarm). Update them first:
  http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=3Dfh;[ln];xpsp2swhw

  Lastly, make sure you have lots of free disk space, and check your =
file system for errors first (click Start, Help, and search for =
"repairing disk errors"). After installing SP2, run the error check =
again, and then defragment your C: drive (because of all the updates).

  Good luck!

  --Cy--