ethics question

David Ilvedson ilvey@sbcglobal.net
Mon, 4 Oct 2004 14:28:36 -0700

I'd call the teacher and tell him to quit recommending the new=
 tuner to your customers.   Don't get steamed on the phone with=
 the teacher.   What's wrong with that?   He just may say OK=
 unless you've really ticked him off somehow...;-]

On a related note...you will NEVER keep all your customers.   The=
 best you can do is do top notch work and be as friendly and=
 interested in their piano/them as you can.   I keep names of=
 children, pets etc. in my database to refer to when calling. =
 Most importantly keep the regular contact for service and that's=
 all you can do.  Creating some sort of personal bond with the=
 customers does beget loyalty.  That being said, I've lost oodles=
 of customers over the years...usually from my neglect of=
 contact, they moved, quit playing the piano and yes, sometimes=
 another tuner is referred...

David I.

From: <richard.ucci@att.net>
To: <pianotech@ptg.org>
Subject: ethics question

OK guys , here's the deal.
A piano teacher I tuned for years ago, stopped using me for=
 reasons unknown, and started using a competitor.  He then=
 started telling clients who were mine originally and referred to=
 him for teaching, to use the other tuner.

Last night I lost another one. The woman said," Oh we just had it=
 tuned.Our teacher suggested someone else. But if it doesn't=
 sound good later we'll call you".

I replied ,"Thank you for your loyalty". "I'll certainly be=
 waiting by the phone for your call"." I am deleting you from my=
 files, Good Bye".

Has this ever happened to you guys and what if anything can I do=
 about it and still be ethical. I deal with about fifteen or more=
 teachers now but I'm really starting to get steamed.

Thanks,
Rick Ucci/Ucci Piano