rebuilding decisions....etc.

Mon, 04 Oct 2004 06:23:01 -0500

At 06:51 10/4/2004 -0400, you wrote:
>Joe Garrett wrote:
>
>>Marcel said: "It's impossible to grind the plate unless grinding the base
>>of the
>>aggraffes at the same time. You'll just have to live with the last
>>octave that will never sound like a modern piano."
>>
>>This is precisely what Chickering did on many of his grands. Although
>>it's a pain in the rump, to grind that area, I've done it! The agraffes,
>>of course, need to be in their proper place, before doing this and there
>>is a limit as to how much you can grind off!<G> Also, one would need to
>>determine that there is a need for this and to calculate the strike point
>>needed.
>
>The high treble agraffes in this piano do not have
>the same cylindrical base as the lower notes.
>I think there is room for a bit of grinding,
>maybe a couple of mm, which might be all
>it needs.
>
>-Mark

Here's a picture of a Chickering showing what Joe was talking
about.  Screwed in and ground flush with the face of the agraffe.

A non-text attachment was scrubbed...
Name: MVC-010S.JPG
Type: image/jpeg
Size: 50572 bytes
Desc: not available

Conrad Hoffsommer - Keyboard Technician
Vox-(563)-387-1204 // Fax (563)-387-1076

-A rose by any other name would still attract aphids.