Bechstein

Horace Greeley hgreeley@stanford.edu
Mon, 04 Oct 2004 00:23:17 -0700

Hi, Bob,

At 11:58 PM 10/3/2004, you wrote:
>I'm going to see a two-year old Bechstein (grand) for action tweaking. I
>see very few Bechsteins.  I am very familiar with, and experienced in,
>standard regulating methods. Are there any particular Bechstein-specific
>tricks of the trade, or pitfalls of which I should be aware?

Basically, less is more.  They are very sensitive to minute changes; be
sure that the keyframe is fully bedded before trying much of anything
(testing especially bedding when shifted...blahblahblah).  Also, most
factory Bechstein needling is done with a single needle.  What has worked
well for me is the tool that Renner used to sell for voicing
uprights...brass with room for four needles, held between thumb and first
two fingers...great control for single-needle work.

Also, FWIW, most of the ones I have seen in the Bay Area have been pretty
poorly tuned over time; and wind up taking extra time to straighten that
out before moving on to other stuff.  YMMV.

Best of luck;

>Thanks,

My pleasure, hope there is something useful for you in the above,

Best.

Horace