Epoxy

Paul Chick (Earthlink) tune4@earthlink.net
Sun, 3 Oct 2004 20:11:38 -0500

Joe
Any acetone used for cleaning the glue residue is very carefully
controlled-a very small amount is placed on a rag over the tip of a gloved
finger and carefully wiped on the area to remove any film left when
necessary.  No bathing is done.  A few quick wipes leaves the glued area
ready for DAG.

Paul C
  -----Original Message-----
  From: pianotech-bounces@ptg.org [mailto:pianotech-bounces@ptg.org]On
Behalf Of Joe Garrett
  Sent: Saturday, October 02, 2004 2:28 PM
  To: pianotech
  Subject: Re: Epoxy

  Paul C said: " Clean up is easy with a sharp chisal when the epoxy reaches
a stiff
  gum state; acetone to follow...."
  Paul,
  Yikes! Refer to my statement about DAG. The same applies to Acetone, only
more so!!! If you use ANY substance known to thin/remove epoxy, for clean
up, you will DEGRADE the Epoxy!!!! I keep seeing this and am amazed that
there are not more failures! Epoxy is very sensitive to this sort of thing.
Don't do it!
  As for the clean up w/a sharp chisel, I'd say that's o.k., but not
necessary with my system! Dental tools and a specially shaped knife is all
that is needed to ensure a "pure" termination. Chisels are a bit over-kill
IMO. Besides, I wouldn't subject my Good Chisels to banging up against
bridge pins. Hmmm? Not even my Bad Chisels!<G>
  Best Regards,
  Joe Garrett, R.P.T.
  Captain, Tool Police
  Squares R I