Impulse and response

antares antares@euronet.nl
Sun, 3 Oct 2004 13:08:56 +0200

On 2-okt-04, at 20:07, Marcel Carey wrote:

> =A0
> This is such an incredible topic. It will be very difficult to verify=20=

> truth from fiction, but here's my take.
> =A0
> The mission of voicing would be to have a hammer that will compress=20
> until it gets the strings at their maximum deflection. At that=20
> nanosecond, the hammer should get away from the string by it's own=20
> stored energy (compressed felt). When it doesn't, it is using the=20
> string's energy to be pushed back from the strings. This would then=20
> decrease the max sound output of the strings and would dampen some=20
> part of the harmonic structure of the sound. But this is all a=20
> question of balance and equilibrium. Only our ears can tell us what's=20=

> the most desirable sound a piano can produce.
> =A0
> Marcel Carey, RPT
> Sherbrooke, QC

And that is precisely what makes voicing hammers so complicated, but at=20=

the same time such a challenge,
because.......

The learning process of voicing a piano requires first of all many=20
years of tuning and regulation.
The ability to find one's balance in voicing at least the same time.
The ability to make every voicing an harmonious success takes at least=20=

a full professional life.
I am still learning, and still always at awe of the complexity.

friendly greetings
from
Andr=E9 Oorebeek

"where Music is, no harm can be"=