Impulse and response

David Love davidlovepianos@comcast.net
Sat, 2 Oct 2004 14:54:36 -0700

I don't know about the specifics of what happens, but I would agree with
that how efficiently the hammer transfers energy to the string is a
factor in the equation.

David Love
davidlovepianos@comcast.net
-----Original Message-----
From: pianotech-bounces@ptg.org [mailto:pianotech-bounces@ptg.org] On
Behalf Of Marcel Carey
Sent: Saturday, October 02, 2004 11:07 AM
To: Pianotech
Subject: RE: Impulse and response

This is such an incredible topic. It will be very difficult to verify
truth from fiction, but here's my take.

The mission of voicing would be to have a hammer that will compress
until it gets the strings at their maximum deflection. At that
nanosecond, the hammer should get away from the string by it's own
stored energy (compressed felt). When it doesn't, it is using the
string's energy to be pushed back from the strings. This would then
decrease the max sound output of the strings and would dampen some part
of the harmonic structure of the sound. But this is all a question of
balance and equilibrium. Only our ears can tell us what's the most
desirable sound a piano can produce.

Marcel Carey, RPT
Sherbrooke, QC