Impulse and response

antares antares@euronet.nl
Sat, 2 Oct 2004 19:25:32 +0200

On 2-okt-04, at 18:23, Sarah Fox wrote:

> Of course the latter factor would also impact the "linearity" of the=20=

> hammer.=A0 With a harder blow,=A0felt deformation will go deeper=A0into =
the=20
> hammer and wider over the crown.=A0 The more=A0quickly the felt =
tension=20
> increases with increasing hammer depth, the more the sound would=20
> brighten=A0with a hard blow.=A0 (Is this the "distortion" to which =
people=20
> refer?=A0 If so, I submit that it's not distortion at all; rather, =
it's=20
> merely a difference in the impulse spectrum.)=A0=A0=A0
> =A0
> Of course all this is quite complicated, and I suppose that's why it=20=

> comes down to more of an art than a science.=A0 Perhaps it's a bit =
like=20
> cooking, in that a taste test will demand a bit more oregano or a=20
> pinch more salt.=A0 Unlike cooking, there are undoubtedly tradeoffs in=20=

> voicing.
> =A0
> Anyway, as I said, I've merely scratched my head about this stuff.=A0 =
If=20
> any of it resonates with the experienced voicing techs amongst you,=20
> I'd really enjoy hearing your thoughts.
> =A0
> Peace,
> Sarah

Take for instance a hammer nr 30. which is a fairly big hammer.
If it is a 'good' quality hammer, it will have tension from the basis=20
to the crown.
If you don't needle that hammer (like you have not needled your new=20
hammers), the tension will remain the same and there will nt be much=20
distortion of the felt because this hammer will be reasonably hard. In=20=

other words : it is a tough spring.. too tough actually.
That's why we needle it and we start needling it in the cushion area.
Now you have a cushion, and now the distortion starts when you hit the=20=

strings. The needled area, the cushion area, will act as a damper, as a=20=

suspension area, and, like the suspension in a car, it will act like a=20=

spring. In other words, the hammer will distort a little (it is a small=20=

thing after all).
The sound will have changed because of the damper. and the tone is less=20=

powerful, and less bright than before, because of the lower partials=20
which will become more powerful.
The more you needle, like if you don't know what you were doing, the=20
more lower partials you will hear and the higher partial will vanish=20
into the universe (where they come from haha).
Therefor, you need a map of the hammer, you need lessons from a=20
seasoned voicing technician, good ears, developed ears, and a sound=20
voicing technique.

Thank you for your scientific approach.
I am a kind of moron when it comes to science, but I am more of a=20
practical technician.

friendly greetings
Andr=E9 Oorebeek

A non-text attachment was scrubbed...