Impulse and response

Don pianotuna@accesscomm.ca
Sat, 02 Oct 2004 11:16:43

Hi Sarah,

Well thought out (as always). You may want to search the archives for
"moment of inertia" as there was a quite *violent* discussion here some
years ago about this.

A heavier hammer is capable of "storing" more energy (i.e. greater moment
of inertia). The manner in which this energy is transferred to the string
is what we hope to influence by "voicing".

If #88 and #1 had the same moment of inertia, then the difference in sound
would be limited to the transfer rate to the string between the two
hammers. I do remember going to a voicing class where an assortment of
different hammers were placed within one octave of a piano. They were then
played mezzo forte--and there were no "heard" differences.

I prefer to take a very structured approach to piano maintenance, after all
if the hammer flange screw is loose what would be the point of needling the
hammer?

There is a wonderful diagram in the Journal called the "Kenzoid". Have a
look if you have the cdrom's.

At 12:23 PM 02/10/2004 -0400, you wrote:
> Without this storage,
>there would be no sustain, and the piano would sound more  like a weird
>sort of drum.   Peace, Sarah

Regards,

mailto:pianotuna@accesscomm.ca		http://us.geocities.com/drpt1948/

3004 Grant Rd.