Glue; bridge pins/Terry

Michael Spalding spalding48@earthlink.net
Sat, 2 Oct 2004 08:53:39 -0500

Joe,

Great procedure and clear explanation.  I like the absence of epoxy mess on
the bridge cap.  Thanks, I'll add this to my toolbox of possible
procedures.  I'd be interested in knowing approximately how much time it
takes?

Terry:

More extensive than Joe's method, and less than re-capping, is the Bill
Spurlock epoxy treatment.  Pull old pins, plane or sand the cap just to the
bottom the the string grooves, re-notch the bridge, insert new pins with
West epoxy (pre-heat the bridge with heat gun/lamps), brushing epoxy over
the cap and notches.  DAG when dry.  Total time for both bridges
approximately 12 hours.  There's a Journal reprint somewhere that details
it.

Less time and care than Joe's method, usually reserved for verticals where
the results won't be on display:  Tap existing pins down, preheat the
bridge with heat gun/lamp, brush on West epoxy until the cracks stop
absorbing it, DAG when dry.

In general, I prefer epoxy over CA if there is any gap at all.

Mike

<pianolover88@hotmail.com>