hammers and soundboards

Bernhard Stopper b98tu@t-online.de
Fri, 1 Oct 2004 21:58:27 +0100

  From: David Love=20
  To: 'Pianotech'=20
  Sent: Friday, October 01, 2004 9:25 PM
  Subject: RE: hammers and soundboards

  Comments below. =20

  =20

  David Love
  davidlovepianos@comcast.net=20

  I do not agree with you...
  I had my first factory training at B=F6sendorfer in Wien, and the =
emphasis on my training there was voicing.
  Their hammers are not "very hard", they are kind of medium hard, just =
like most Renner hammers.

  By my standards, and the hammers I deal with on a regular basis, they =
are quite hard.

  =20

  B=F6sendorfer uses Renner hammers and have done so for a very long =
time. According to me, they have never bought Ronsen hammers nor Bacon =
felt hammers.

  =20

  Were you actually thinking that I said that?   I think we have a =
communication problem. =20

  =20

  If you don't believe that soundboards contribute to how a hammer will =
sound on the piano, well, what can I say.  Then you should be able to =
get the same tone on every piano no matter what the condition of the =
soundboard as long as you use the same hammer and the piano has the same =
scale tension, non?   My answer would be no.  =20

  =20

  A good quality hammer is important, I will grant you that, but they =
are not imbued with magical powers.   Why do I sense I will get some =
disagreement on that point?  Just a feeling, I guess.      =20