spinning wheels

David Love davidlovepianos@comcast.net
Thu, 30 Sep 2004 16:26:09 -0700

I think I do understand.  The issue isn=92t so much pianos out of the
factory where things may be working well.  My point had as much to do
with soundboards that left the factory 100 years ago.  But I think =
it=92s
enough on this point.  The expression spinning wheels was not aimed at
you personally, it simply means that the discussion is going nowhere.
=20
David Love
davidlovepianos@comcast.net=20
-----Original Message-----
From: pianotech-bounces@ptg.org [mailto:pianotech-bounces@ptg.org] On
Behalf Of antares
Sent: Thursday, September 30, 2004 3:57 PM
To: Pianotech
Subject: Re: spinning wheels
=20

On 1-okt-04, at 0:23, David Love wrote:
That's fine, but a Yamaha requires a fairly dense hammer because of the
way the soundboard is designed. There are many pianos that have quite a
different set up and whose hammer needs will be different.=20

In that case I think you don't really understand me. I am certainly not
as you say "spinning wheels", why should I be spinning wheels David?. I
have been voicing grand pianos almost every day for many years. That's
how I found out about the different hammer shapes for different types of
grands. Because I spent almost all of my professional life I also
invested a lifetime in developing my thoughts about hammers and I was
among the first techs here being aware of the return of the once so
gorgeous Wurzen felt that almost every factory in the world used, at
that time. Heck, even Ray Negron told us here that his father too used
Wurzen. It is not for nothing that most factories today use Wurzen again
and that we too have been working exclusively with that stuff.

But enough of this wheel spinning, I wish happiness to all hammer makers
and equal happiness to all hammer users. This is not a contest and hah!
I have certainly no investments in the Wurzen factory.=20
All I wished to say here is that every soundboard sound improves
mightily with Wurzens provided the shape is right, the hammers have been
voiced in a proper way, and that the way the action plays is not ruined
by kilo's of hammer felt, as some here think is such a miracle.

But, let each find out for him/herself, I have said more than enough
already.

Andr=E9 Oorebeek