Knuckle installation

Don Mannino donmannino@comcast.net
Tue, 23 Nov 2004 20:49:46 -0800

Avery,

You didn't mention if the shanks are still mounted on the rail - that's the
best way to install the new ones.

- Take off the stack, lay it down on the front side, letoff buttons down
against the workbench, hammer heads face down towards you
- A small stripe of wood glue will work fine.  There will be squeeze out on
the sides.  Hide glue is also great.
- Use a strip of wood or aluminum u-channel or something straight.  Spread
the glue in one section of shanks, insert the knuckles, press all of them
down with the straightedge.  Then push on the front and back with the
straightedge to align them.  Even though the cores are tight in the slots,
there will be some room to fudge them front to back - make them as straight
and perpendicular to the shank as possible.  Perfect alignment of the
knuckles is a great advantage for a good regulation.

Don Mannino RPT