Kimball Grand

Farrell mfarrel2@tampabay.rr.com
Wed, 19 May 2004 19:55:37 -0400

> 1) Is this information and my related assumptions correct on how the legs
are attached?

Yes.

> 2) What was the approximate shape and of these cleats/stops before they
were lost?

Don't know. Many different types of mechanisms have been used on pianos. You
can usually tell by looking for a "scar" on the keybed bottom near the leg.
Some pianos had a rotating metal piece that wedged itself in place. Some
used wooden wedges. Most just have a screw running through the leg into the
keybed. Have you looked under there yet?

You need to watch a mover (hopefully one that knows what s/he is doing)
remove and replace legs and lyre on a piano. I'm assuming you are a budding
piano technician? You said you have a client with a Kimball grand - but I
suppose you might sell insurance, or be a physician, or a plumber.......

Terry Farrell

> Greetings All,
>
> I have a customer with a 40 year old, Kimball baby grand that's missing
some sort of cleat or stop, as I understand it, that is supposed to prevent
the piano from sliding off of its legs.  From this account, I'm lead to
believe that the legs are attached to the piano case by some sort of sliding
joint and that these cleats/stops are meant to prevent the legs from sliding
off of their respective joints.