About Lead - Was: Ongoing Discussions

Jean-Jacques Granas jjgranas@zigzag.pl
Thu, 20 May 2004 00:32:48 +0200

Hi all,

That lead represents a health hazard is not a new idea. It is =
particularly harmful to small children whose mental development seems to =
be hampered by continued exposure to lead. Their liver seems to be at =
risk as well.

This said, I wonder just how exposed lead in piano keys really is. Most =
lead related health warnings concentrate on sources such as old stripped =
lead paint, especially if scraped and sanded, thus producing harmful =
dust containing lead that can be easily absorbed by the organism. =
Frankly speaking, the inquisitive piano tech seems more at risk here to =
me.

Be it as it may, this issue does not seem to me to be such a major =
obstacle to proper action performance. Can not something else be =
substituded for lead, steel for example ?

Peace,

Jean-Jacques Granas
Warsaw