Work Bench

Joseph Garrett joegarrett@earthlink.net
Mon, 17 May 2004 09:42:25 -0700

Rick Ucci asked: "Hi Guys, I'm updating my workshop and need some advise on
depth of workbench for action regulating etc. Is 30" deep enough to
accomodate a grand action and work comfortably?"

Rick,
I have a work bench that has a 36" x 72" top. I've found that this is an
ideal size to accomodate large Grand actions, PLUS all of the necessary
tools and paraphenalia needed to work on said action. The top is 2" thick,
laminated rock maple. In a former life, it was designed to be a kitchen
counter. The work bench is of my own design. It has drawers that can be
pulled from either side, so that access can be had w/o disturbing the
worker. One end has a "bureau" cabinet that holds a lot of the large tools,
jigs, etc. The other end is equipped with rack for holding screwdrivers,
screw holders etc. At that end I employ piano bench for my tool kit, etc.
The middle, (below the drawers), has shelves that will hold actions or other
"debris".<G> On the "plain" end leg, is mounted an electrical "strip" for
all of the power tool needs. If you would like a copy of the plans, please
e-mail me privately. BTW, the legs are 4x4 rock maple. The whole thing can
be disassembled in 10-15 minutes for easier moving. (Or if you have three or
four "no neck, hair on their thumbs" types, it can be moved with great
effort. The whole thing is very stable and is set up in the middle of my
shop, so that access is 360.
Best Regards,
Joe Garrett, RPT, (Oregon)
Captain, Tool Police