honky tonk tuning

Stéphane Collin collin.s@skynet.be
Mon, 17 May 2004 15:34:23 +0200

Hello Carl.

No dumb questions.  Only dumb answers.

The question you raise makes me think about this : the process of a
piano going out of tune is an even one, all over the scale, especially
when it goes about crowned soundboard shrinking and releasing tension of
the strings.  But this gives a quite even out-of-tune result, I guess
not similar to the rag-time out of tuneness.  Pin tightness failures
seem more prominent candidates to cause the effect you are talking
about.  Then, only a statistical distribution of this condition over the
compass of the piano could explain the evenness you are talking about.
I really don't believe that anybody ever consciously designed a special
tuning for rag-time recordings.  But I understand clearly that an in
tune piano would be here out of aesthetic.

This was my dumb attempt to answer a clever question.

Stéphane Collin.