Lacquer fight!/ Internal friction

antares antares@euronet.nl
Fri, 14 May 2004 22:44:28 +0200

The more I read about this issue, the more I come to the conclusion=20
that :
There is actually a discussion going on between the inhabitants of two=20=

different continents, The USA and Europe.
For some reason, there has been created a difference in the making of=20
hammers. I do not know why.
This difference in making hammers and at the same time making use of=20
separate felt markets, has created different methods in making hammer=20
felt, hammer heads, and ultimately a different piano sound.
Roughly speaking, we may now say that there are piano's with doped=20
hammers, and there are piano's with non doped hammers.
Both continents make use of a kind of hammer dope, but the difference=20
in the use of said hammer dopes is caused by the different felt makers,=20=

the different hammer makers and finally the difference in sound,=20
favored by the different kind of pianists, depending in which continent=20=

they live.
For years, I have spoken about an old/new felt that came back after=20
more than 40-50 years. It is of course the Wurzen felt, brought back to=20=

us by Jack Brand, the owner/director of the Wurzen factory in Wurzen,=20
Germany.
Together with Richard Brekne we explored the latest AA Wurzen quality=20
on an older Yamaha C3 grand. I dare say the fine result we achieved was=20=

most certainly due to the improved quality of the hammer felt.
At the same time, we now see that very same felt being sold in the US=20
and Canada, and we notice that that very same felt is treated in a=20
completely different way, namely with hammer dope.
It shows clearly that we can have a discussion for sure, but methods=20
differ, and tastes too.
How can we talk about a difference in taste?

Andr=E9 Oorebeek

On 14-mei-04, at 20:58, Richard Brekne wrote:

> Grin... prodding is what I do best me thinks...   so let me prod once=20=

> more.
>
> You seem to make the clear statement that internal friction moments=20
> are critical to the sound resulting in the piano when a felt hammer=20
> hits the strings.... tho you dont go much into detail as to the=20
> hows/whats/whys... perhaps understandably so... but since this tangent=20=

> of the discussion seems intent on comparision (for not to say=20
> competition) between <<lacquered up>> and <<needled down>>  hammers it=20=

> seems central to ascertain whether or not either approach results in=20=

> anything particularilly negative in relationship to this internal=20
> friction capacitance
>
> The following quote from Bernhards last claims authority on a a=20
> related issue of this subject matter...
>
>    "Measurements on hammers parameters has been done by Anatoli =
Stulov,
>    where he measured felt stiffness and rebound time.He found
>    differences of a factor of about 100 % in the rebound time between
>    different new hammer sets made by diverse makers. (Abel, Renner,
>    Imadegawa)
>    The rebound time is in correlation with the felts /inner friction
>    losses/ (or imaginary part of elastic modulus) , not to =
/stiffness/.

> Which states outright that rebound time is not correlated to hammer=20
> stiffness.
>
> So my prodding leads me to ask do you agree with the quote... and=20
> would you say that the addition of  lacquer has any affect on this=20
> internal friction, and if so what... and the same question again with=20=

> respect to needling.
>
> Cheers
>
> RicB

friendly greetings