Lacquer fight!/ Internal friction

Fri, 14 May 2004 20:58:35 +0200

Grin... prodding is what I do best me thinks...   so let me prod once more.

You seem to make the clear statement that internal friction moments are
critical to the sound resulting in the piano when a felt hammer hits the
strings.... tho you dont go much into detail as to the
hows/whats/whys... perhaps understandably so... but since this tangent
of the discussion seems intent on comparision (for not to say
competition) between <<lacquered up>> and <<needled down>>  hammers it
seems central to ascertain whether or not either approach results in
anything particularilly negative in relationship to this internal
friction capacitance

The following quote from Bernhards last claims authority on a a related
issue of this subject matter...

    "Measurements on hammers parameters has been done by Anatoli Stulov,
    where he measured felt stiffness and rebound time.He found
    differences of a factor of about 100 % in the rebound time between
    different new hammer sets made by diverse makers. (Abel, Renner,
    Imadegawa)
    The rebound time is in correlation with the felts /inner friction
    losses/ (or imaginary part of elastic modulus) , not to /stiffness/.

Which states outright that rebound time is not correlated to hammer
stiffness.

So my prodding leads me to ask do you agree with the quote... and would
you say that the addition of  lacquer has any affect on this internal
friction, and if so what... and the same question again with respect to
needling.

Cheers

RicB