Disgusted for the good old days

dm.porritt@verizon.net dm.porritt@verizon.net
Tue, 11 May 2004 18:00:31 -0500

Rob:

I am one of those who has been here since there were less than 20 subscribers...
when it wasn't even a list, but an agreement to send our posts to all the
"members". What's happened to the list? 560!

There are now 577 members subscribed, about 560 more than when the list
started. An OT post from everybody would amount to less than 20 OT posts.
Laugh, crack jokes, have fun, yeah! Now at 577 people, it doesn't take much to
really overload most people's tolerance for OT. Add to that the people who
frequently post 10 or more messages a day and you have real volume.

My best guess is to get back what was once here, you're going to have to start
a new list with 20 of your favorite people, and then not tell anyone else!

dave

From: "Rob Goodale" <rrg@unlv.nevada.edu>
Date: 2004/05/11 Tue PM 01:47:41 CDT
To: <pianotech@ptg.org>
Subject: Disgusted for the good ol' days

Hello everyone.

I have been thinking about this OT, Moderated, Unmoderated, Touchy-Feely, shame
on you, you hurt my feelings", BS that has evolved on this list and I am
reaching a boiling point here. Something is terribly wrong.

I have been on pianotech continuously since close to the beginning nearly 8
years ago. I don't believe there are more than two or three others still here
that go back that far. Over the years I have seen people come and go. Some
have left and returned and then went away again. Some haven't come back. We
have also had a few who have passed away.

I bring this up because I have to wonder what happened. We had SO MUCH FUN in
the past. We had arguments that were GOOD arguments, we went off topic, on
topic, nobody cared. It was just a great group of piano techs who had found a
place to chit chat. Most of the time we talked about pianos. If someone
wanted to talk about something else for awhile nobody cared, we were just a
great group of piano technicians who had a lot of fun chatting on pianotech and
bouncing ideas off each other. We always had the infamous "flame suits" to put
on if need be and we all loved it. We joked, made fun of each other, got
serious, and then laughed again. If the arguments got nasty we loved the list
anyway and wouldn't miss being here for the world. Ah the good ol' days.

Over the past several years many of the Johnny-come-latelys that joined the
list seem to have had an assumption that pianotech is something that it isn't.
Disappointed in this expectation they then took it upon themselves to mold
pianotech into something else. A few have self-appointed themselves to
reprimand others. Others assumed themselves to be the authorities on what
topics were acceptable and which were not. And some have taken the list to a
new level of finger pointing.

It would be golden to turn back the clock to when "pianotech" was really
"pianotech". My question is what happened? Those of you who have only joined
within the last couple years will never know what you are missing. We had a
great time and looked forward to exchanging messages piano related or not. It
was just a fun place to meet. Chaos was always in order and that was the way
everyone liked it.

It is interesting to note that having talked with others over the last few
years as to why they left their number one complaint is that the list evolved
into what it is now. In that spirit might I suggest that we all drop the
agenda on trying to make pianotech a nice and neat orderly place with hospital
corners? What pianotech doesn't need is a moderator, officially or otherwise.
Who gives a crap, we're all big boys and girls, we don't need a scout master.
For those of you who can't handle this may I suggest that you start another
list elsewhere and leave well enough alone? Hey, the internet is an
absolutely HUGE place. There is plenty of room to create that sort of list.
Please just relax for a change and enjoying the flying feathers. Stupid CAN be
fun. Think of something really off-topic to talk about such as, oh I don't
know say... 70's disco fads. Then have fun trying to relate pianos to it. Be
careful, you might actually find yourself having fun. Smiling could be fatal
for those of you who have a brittle face.

Rob Goodale, RPT
Las Vegas, NV

David M. Porritt, RPT
Meadows School of the Arts