bridge cap headache

Michael Spalding spalding48@earthlink.net
Sat, 8 May 2004 07:32:36 -0500

Clyde,

I feel your pain.  It's very discouraging to run out of time and ideas, and
not achieve the results you had hoped for.  Happens more often than I'd
like.

Even with the kind of bridge failure you described,  the bridge pins are
usually holding the cap in place.  Or was the cap so thick that the pins
did not go through into the bridge body?  This would make it very difficult
to do a field repair, (and might also explain why the cap separated in the
first place!)

Here's my procedure for field repair of the worst repairable bridge cap
failure.  If it's not repairable this way, I don't know any way except
re-capping.   Remove the action, (if its a vertical, tip the piano,) loosen
strings and get them away from the bridge.  Push poke and shove the bridge
pins into position.  Push poke and shove the bridge cap fragments into
position.  If screws are required, do them now, while everything is clean
and dry.  If you can't get the pieces to sit where they belong, this is
when you bail out and say it can't be repaired.  Apply West System epoxy
with a stiff brush.  Use a heat gun/hair dryer to warm the bridge and epoxy
so that it penetrates all the nooks and crannies, being careful not to
"cook" it and cure it prematurely.  Continue brushing new epoxy onto the
bridge until it begins to thicken, to the point that it fills the larger
cracks and doesn't flow back out of them.  Don't worry about buildup and
brushmarks on the top of the cap or bridge pins - this stuff will flow and
level after you stop messing with it.  You can clean up with a rag and
acetone if necessary, but this often makes things worse.  Let it cure as
long as possible before un-tipping the piano - this is when I do the action
repairs, hammer filing, etc.  You can usually untip the piano after an hour
or two, but don't re-string until the next day.

Regarding string length - Changing wire size won't do any good.  Larger
wire is stronger, but needs higher tension to achieve the same pitch.
Bottom line is, the percent of breaking strain is determined by the length,
not the diameter.  If you've only added 2mm, you probably are OK.  Most
scales are around 2" at C88, and anything less than 2 3/16 is reasonably
safe.

hope this helps

Mike