?? Voice ??

Dave Nereson davner@kaosol.net
Sat, 8 May 2004 03:51:06 -0600

----- Original Message -----
From: "Corte Swearingen" <cswearingen@daigger.com>
To: "Pianotech" <pianotech@ptg.org>
Sent: Friday, May 07, 2004 6:57 AM
Subject: Re: ?? Voice ??
 > Hello,
> Since we are talking about voicing techniques, has anybody had much
success
> with that little upright voicing tool that Yamaha sells?  This thing is
> essentially a small L-shaped bracket that hold three needles.  Considering
> the size of this tool, it implies that you can voice an upright piano
> without removing the action.  I've tried using the tool and I find it way
> too hard to slowly push the needles into the Yamaha hammers.  I've given
up
> trying to use it but I have to assume it works well for some people.
>
> Corte Swearingen
> Chicago

    It's good for voicing a few hammers in a piano that is otherwise fairly
even.  If the hammers are really hard or if I have to do more than 20 or so,
I take out the action, lay it on its back, support the hammer tails with a
piece of wood, and go at it with the large Yamaha voicing tool.
    In the small L-shaped one for uprights, I have only 1 needle as I find
it too hard to push more than that into most hammers.  You can't quite get
to the underside in a lot of cases, and also scratch up the back of your
hand on pressure bar screws, etc., but the tool is useful since there's
nothing else I know of.          --David Nereson, RPT