Dowels through ribs

BobDavis88@aol.com BobDavis88@aol.com
Thu, 6 May 2004 11:59:34 EDT

I'd like to revisit the subject of dowels through ribs vs. soundboard
buttons/screws. As I understand it, the arguments are:

1) Dowels through ribs weaken the supporting ability of the rib, especially
in a rib-crowned system

2) Screws generally are a poor permanent means of attachment, as
swelling/shrinking of the wood under the head causes a loose screw, and possible buzzing
(I have certainly seen loose screws in soundboard buttons; even buzzes).

At present, I don't have a completely reliable method of attaching the
bridges to the soundboard using only pressure, so am obligated to use screws, at
least as temporary clamps. On the previous couple of boards, we used screws
through buttons, but glued on the buttons. We left the screws in. This copied the
original system (Steinway). On the current board, a M&H AA, it was originally
screwed through the ribs, then doweled. I guess I don't understand how the rib
would be weakened, if the hole is filled with a dowel glued in with good glue.
And would a plug be better? How about a spruce plug?

Thanks for your thoughts,
Bob Davis