steinway over hardened hammer

Dean May deanmay@pianorebuilders.com
Thu, 6 May 2004 08:02:11 -0500

>>Just for the sake of debate and to stimulate a bit of thought... I would
like to question why it is that techs so often seem so ready to reach
for the hammer dope bottle.

The answer, for me anyway, is that is what I saw the lead voicing tech for
Indiana University using. Of course, he is used to working on Steinways. But
I saw him lacquer hammers on a new Young Chang. So that is all I ever used,
with mixed results. Until Phil Glen, I think it was, told me about buffing
the strike surface with fine sandpaper strips for new Young Changs. This
gave me another tool for making it a little brighter. I've also used fabric
softener in water to voice down, because that is what the techs in the
PianoDisc factory used when I took my training back in '93.

I've only had one tech, who I respect a great deal, demonstrate a single
deep needle to the shoulder to bring out a singing tone. And it appeared to
me he was shy of using it.  He mainly works on S&S and uses lacquer.

It is only the last 3-4 years with joining the guild that I am learning
about the two different kinds of hammers. But it is confusing. How do you
determine which variety the piano you are working on has? Most of the new
hammers I am used to working on are Young Changs (I sold them for 12 years)
or Imadagawas, which is the closest to a YC hammer I could find. Those
hammers are hard, as are a lot of Asian piano hammers. Do they best respond
to the needling techniques demonstrated by the Kawai Master Tech? Or do they
best respond to the trash bin with a new set of Wurtzens in their place? ;-)

Dean

Dean May             cell 812.239.3359
PianoRebuilders.com   812.235.5272
Terre Haute IN  47802