pinblock drilling angle, with pin bushings

Ron Nossaman rnossaman@cox.net
Sun, 02 May 2004 23:12:44 -0500

>I don't necessarily want to - it sort of  complicates the process.  But it
>does allow the string to meet the pin at an angle that keeps the coil from
>loosening, while preventing the string from climbing up the coil.  I have
>sometimes varied the angle to suit the individual piano.  What angle do you
>use?

Ok, that's what I was asking, but I wondered what you were measuring the
angle from. I like the method of using the string between the counter
bearing bar and the tuning pin as the reference line rather than the plate
surface, since they don't necessarily end up parallel. Angling the pin so
the string comes off the coil in a straight line to the counter bearing is
pretty much dead center of your criteria. Something close to 1° looks
pretty close to me, which is why I asked.

Ron N