1906 Stwy wippens

Sat, 01 May 2004 16:17:33 +0200

Joseph Garrett wrote:

>RicB said: "..... or simply replace the knuckles
>yourself and leave the shanks..

Depends on what you are doing.. howfar you are going... how much money
the customer is going to spend... and not the least... what Jason wants
to gain experience doing..  Whilst I appreciate the sentiment... I have
no problem with leaving old shanks on... and have never experienced the
so called brittle effect without them simple breaking.  BTJMO.  At least
not to the degree that its worth bothering about unless you are doing an
otherwise primo job.. and by that I mean whatever it takes to get the
instrument up to 95 % or better of its origional potential....

If we are doing a typical <<get it playing nicely job...>>  then... not.
Sorry... just dont agree if this is meant as an absolute in any sense of
the word.

Cheers
RicB