Balance Rail Holes - Worn

barr8345@bellsouth.net barr8345@bellsouth.net
Wed, 31 Mar 2004 00:27:56 -0600

Hi Terry,
I have had great success repairing this type of damage using maple veneer. Mount a balance rail pin in a scrap board, position key upside down and saw a kerf the thickness of the veneer about 1/4 inch deep using the balance rail pin as a guide. Glue the veneer in this kerf and you will have a permanent repair. I can't remember which manufacturer's rep suggested this repair to me but it does work.

Norman Barrett
Memphis Chapter

----- Original Message -----
From: "Farrell" <mfarrel2@tampabay.rr.com>
To: <pianotech@ptg.org>
Sent: Tuesday, March 30, 2004 7:16 PM
Subject: Balance Rail Holes - Worn

Hello Listees,

I'm rastling with the keys and keyframe of an old, well worn, WNG action. I'm trying to decide what to do with the center keypin key holes. I have limited, as best, experience repairing key center pin holes. The picture below shows the worst of the obviously worn keys. I'm just kinda feelin' that these are past the point of gluing in a shim. Waddaya ya'll think, and what is the latest and greatest regarding rebuilding a key center rail pin hole? Thanks.

Terry Farrell