Balance Rail Holes - Worn

John Ross jrpiano@win.eastlink.ca
Tue, 30 Mar 2004 21:27:51 -0400

--Boundary_(ID_ubMtYHBnNhh+KTWWvlwXZg)
Expensive best way, is probably a kit by a Mr. Onesti, if I remember correctly.
Bill Spurlock, had an article in the Journal, with a jig made with a strip of metal, with two points at the ends, one had a pin, to find the hole, the other had a hole for the drill. Then you route out the bad section, and inlay a piece of wood. The two indents made by the metal strip with the pin, as a locator. Are used to position the drill bit guide, for the hole.
I hope my ramblings make sense,
The Journal article really lays it out.
Regards,

John M. Ross
Windsor, Nova Scotia, Canada
jrpiano@win.eastlink.ca
  ----- Original Message -----
  From: Farrell
  To: pianotech@ptg.org
  Sent: Tuesday, March 30, 2004 9:16 PM
  Subject: Balance Rail Holes - Worn

  Hello Listees,

  I'm rastling with the keys and keyframe of an old, well worn, WNG action. I'm trying to decide what to do with the center keypin key holes. I have limited, as best, experience repairing key center pin holes. The picture below shows the worst of the obviously worn keys. I'm just kinda feelin' that these are past the point of gluing in a shim. Waddaya ya'll think, and what is the latest and greatest regarding rebuilding a key center rail pin hole? Thanks.

  Terry Farrell

--Boundary_(ID_ubMtYHBnNhh+KTWWvlwXZg)
An HTML attachment was scrubbed...

--Boundary_(ID_ubMtYHBnNhh+KTWWvlwXZg)--

A non-text attachment was scrubbed...
Name: crkh01.JPG
Type: image/jpeg
Size: 47489 bytes