Jack to knuckle position

Mon, 29 Mar 2004 07:22:48 -0600

At 08:09 3/29/2004 -0500, you wrote:
>Greeetings,
>

>                  When the keystroke of a grand piano key is complete, how
> far front should the jack's final position be in relationship to the
> knuckle?  I know it shouldnt be as far front as to have it buried in the
> stop felt at the end of the rep lever or too far back either.
>
>rookie
>Julia Gottchall
>Reading, PA

Sounds like you have it...

The jack has to be out of the way of the knuckle/roller when the hammer
rebounds from the string. (one of the benefits of aftertouch ;-)

Too much aftertouch and you compress that stop felt.
Too little or none, you get bobbling or blocking or at least a strange
feeling as the knuckle pushes the jack out of it's way.

Conrad Hoffsommer, RPT, MPT, CCT, PFP, ACS, CRS.
Decorah, IA

- Certified Calibration Technician for Bio-powered Digitally Activated
Lever Action Tone Generation Systems.
- Pianotech Flamesuit Purveyor
- American Curmudgeon Society - Apprentice Member and Founder