Woodwinds VS strings

David Renaud drjazzca@yahoo.ca
Fri, 26 Mar 2004 07:19:23 -0500 (EST)

....after a while, the brass, especially, would have
to re-tune because they had gone flat after the
instruments warmed up........

  All the winds, including brass, are flat cold,
and go sharper as they warms up. My band tuba player
is always flat cold. I am absolutely sure of this by
experience. So do organs. Yes, this does have to do
with the density of the air.
  I remember checking an organ/piano concert tuning,
the pipes were 3 cents flat until the lights went on
for about 15 min, and the furnace kicked in.
------------------------
Sara wrote
  However, there's not really much of an effect on
pitch. Woodwinds are pretty stable.
---------------------------------------
 No.My clarinet cold from outside is about 8 cents
flat
unless I bite down. Warmed up from heavy playing
the same tension would produce A442, 16 cents sharper.
I lower the jaw(better sound)and pull out the barrel
to try to stay down at A440.

  The oboe player in the pit orchestra I play in
struggles not to be flat when picking up the oboe
after a break in the cold pit.

  Woodwinds are very flexible, and varies profoundly
with temperature. I do play all the woodwinds, and
several well enough to be a regular extra player
with the National Arts Center Orchestra as a doubler
in there Pops Series. Woodwinds are not stable with
temperature changes.

                           Cheers
                           Dave Renaud