Good Idea & a Question

Kevin E. Ramsey kevin.e.ramsey@cox.net
Thu, 25 Mar 2004 17:34:59 -0700

MessageWell, Alan, the 1/16" damper follow means, hypothetically, that =
you should have the hammer come to rest 1/16th beyond where it sits on =
the string.... you know, you push in on a bass string and it will follow =
it 1/16th before it stops.  I suppose that would equate to 1/3rd blow, =
or something.  =20

    The funny thing about those little cards.... use them like a =
guide-line. That's where the specs should be, but on a Kimball, all bets =
are off....

Kevin.
  ----- Original Message -----=20
  From: Alan=20
  To: Pianotech=20
  Sent: Thursday, March 25, 2004 4:57 PM
  Subject: Good Idea & a Question

  Tuned a Kimball console today (100+ cents flat) that had something =
interesting, hadn't seen this before but I don't know why all piano =
makers haven't routinely done it for many years! To whit: There was a =
label posted  on the inside left cabinet, next to the action, with a =
list of regulation specs for this piano--key height, blow distance, =
letoff, etc. What  a great idea!

  Then, of course, on the hammer rest rail are the immortal words: =
"Exclusive Kimball Harmi-Tone Action." Gag. Sure looks like everone =
else's action, to me ...

  Anyway, merchandising hype notwithstanding, I think the spec label is =
a dandy idea.

  Question: One of the specs was for "Damper Follow 1/16." I thought I =
was pretty up-to-speed on regulating, but I confess ignorance on that =
one. What's it referring to?

  Alan R. Barnard
  Salem, MO

  ---