Good Idea & a Question

Alan tune4u@earthlink.net
Thu, 25 Mar 2004 17:57:16 -0600

Tuned a Kimball console today (100+ cents flat) that had something
interesting, hadn't seen this before but I don't know why all piano
makers haven't routinely done it for many years! To whit: There was a
label posted  on the inside left cabinet, next to the action, with a
list of regulation specs for this piano--key height, blow distance,
letoff, etc. What  a great idea!

Then, of course, on the hammer rest rail are the immortal words:
"Exclusive Kimball Harmi-Tone Action." Gag. Sure looks like everone
else's action, to me ...

Anyway, merchandising hype notwithstanding, I think the spec label is a
dandy idea.

Question: One of the specs was for "Damper Follow 1/16." I thought I was
pretty up-to-speed on regulating, but I confess ignorance on that one.
What's it referring to?

Alan R. Barnard
Salem, MO

---