removing key bushings

Joseph Garrett joegarrett@earthlink.net
Thu, 25 Mar 2004 11:26:18 -0800

John Formsma said: "1958 Baldwin Acrosonic.

Removing key bushings, contending with some kind of nasty white glue
that's a pain to remove.

Have tried steam, which works OK. Am currently online searching the
archives (and PT Journal CD ROMS).

Is there a good solvent for this stuff? Is it PVC-E, perhaps?

If anyone has had success with removing this adhesive, I'd appreciate
input.

Also, what would be a good adhesive for the bushings when I'm ready to
install them? There's a bunch of residure from the old stuff, so I'm
thinking either Titebond or PVC-E.

Thanks,

John Formsma"

John,
The glue in question, is, I suspect a heat activated bunch of glop. Clean as
much as is possible from the mortises and reglue the bushings with Hide
Glue. PLEASE do not put bushings in with Titebond or PVC-E! You'd just be
adding insult to injury. Besides, neither hardens sufficiently and squirms.
Trying to ease those things would be like shoveling sand against the tide!
Hide glue will stick to just about anything, including glass.<G>
Best Regards,

Joe Garrett, RPT, (Oregon)
Captain, Tool Police
Squares Are I