What's the best procedure for rebushing a damper guide rail?

Paul Chick (Earthlink) tune4@earthlink.net
Tue, 23 Mar 2004 08:28:35 -0600

  -----Original Message-----
  From: pianotech-bounces@ptg.org [mailto:pianotech-bounces@ptg.org]On
Behalf Of Jon Page
  Sent: Monday, March 22, 2004 10:38 PM
  To: pianotech@ptg.org
  Subject: What's the best procedure for rebushing a damper guide rail?

>I remember, a few months ago, some discussion regarding glue
choices, sizing the felt, burnishing, etc..
>     Kindly refresh me with your favorite
methods!      Sincerely, Gordon

Select a thickness of cloth to produce the proper sized hole
  when the width of the cloth strip forms a tight joint. Rip the
  cloth, don't cut it; cut one end to a point for insertion into the hole.

  Apply a very scant amount of hide glue mostly at the joint area, this
  hopefully will keep it from being pushed out sometime in the future
  with a curved reamer. Insert the cloth from the underside of the rail
  so the glue is pulled in from underneath.  I usually have the joint
  positioned to the rear, you do not want it on either side.

  Cut the cloth slightly proud of the rail, about the thickness of the
  banded back edge of the razor blade.

  Once the rail is complete, Press the bushings with an awl from both sides.
  When dry, the bushings are ironed with a caul made out of a bridge pin
  and 1/4" brass rod to fit into the Key Bushing Iron.

  Finish with a pipe cleaner and Teflon powder.

  Regards,

  Jon Page, piano technician
  Harwich Port, Cape Cod, Mass.
  mailto:jonpage@comcast.net
  [Paul Chick (Earthlink)] I like to spray a coat of shellac on the rails,
aiming at the holes.  When dry, fit the cloth as Jon mentions.  Intsall the
bushing cloth as described but use no glue.  Insert a # 7 bridge pin into
the hole then put a drop of alcohol on the bushing cloth (the 70% stuff from
the drug store).  Allow to air dry or use a hair dryer to speed the work.
The alcohol softens the shellac enough to "glue" the felt into the rail.
Add teflon powder.

  Paul C