What's the best procedure for rebushing a damper guide rail?

Jon Page jonpage@comcast.net
Mon, 22 Mar 2004 23:37:32 -0500

 >I remember, a few months ago, some discussion regarding glue choices,
sizing the felt, burnishing, etc..
 >     Kindly refresh me with your favorite methods!      Sincerely, Gordon

Select a thickness of cloth to produce the proper sized hole
when the width of the cloth strip forms a tight joint. Rip the
cloth, don't cut it; cut one end to a point for insertion into the hole.

Apply a very scant amount of hide glue mostly at the joint area, this
hopefully will keep it from being pushed out sometime in the future
with a curved reamer. Insert the cloth from the underside of the rail
so the glue is pulled in from underneath.  I usually have the joint
positioned to the rear, you do not want it on either side.

Cut the cloth slightly proud of the rail, about the thickness of the
banded back edge of the razor blade.

Once the rail is complete, Press the bushings with an awl from both sides.
When dry, the bushings are ironed with a caul made out of a bridge pin
and 1/4" brass rod to fit into the Key Bushing Iron.

Finish with a pipe cleaner and Teflon powder.

Regards,

Jon Page, piano technician
Harwich Port, Cape Cod, Mass.
mailto:jonpage@comcast.net