Journal Artical - BAD IDEA!

Ron Nossaman RNossaman@cox.net
Sat, 20 Mar 2004 17:57:36 -0600

>       Copper tubing that has red lettering is called type "M" copper and
> is used for a basic residential and light commercial plumbing both liquid
> and air.  Type "L" has blue lettering.  It is used for heavy duty
> plumbing and air lines and has a higher pressure rating.  Both come in
> straight hard 10'-20' lengths or in soft rolIs up to 100'.  You can
> "sweat" the fitting on, use compression fittings, or flare fittings.
>       I don't remember for sure but suspect the green is for
> refrigeration.  It is internally dried and sealed at the factory.  Comes
> in 50' rolls and perhaps 100'.  My .02 worth.
>Charles Cron

M is low pressure light duty, residential water, buried safely in walls. L
is medium duty, residential and light commercial, which is higher pressure
rated and rugged enough to be exposed. If I was doing an air system in
copper, I think I'd go with schedule K, which is heavy duty. You would
likely have to go to a plumbing supply house for it, since it's not what
the average weekend warrior will be looking for in Home Despot.

Water doesn't worry me, and schedule L might be plenty sturdy and safe for
most anything, but I find the damage compressed air can do to be scary.

Ron N