Floating Sound boards

Joseph Garrett joegarrett@earthlink.net
Wed, 17 Mar 2004 07:44:19 -0800

Another question I have been wondering about is whether anyone has ever =
floated the soundboard at the high treble end, along the short side, =
perpendicularly to the end of the bridge. What are the likely results of =
such an experiment. Btw the treble end float idea is just theoretical =
curiosity.

Jean-Jacque,
The last Bechstein I rebuilt, had a "float" in the treble , (short side). I
did not percieve any sound improvement or difference. I suspect it is of no
consequence, as stiffness is needed in the treble and flexibility is needed
in the bass.
Best Regards,
Joe Garrett, RPT, (Oregon)
Captain, Tool Police