radiant heath system

Joel Jones jajones2@facstaff.wisc.edu
Mon, 15 Mar 2004 08:23:42 -0600

On 3/15/04 5:55 AM, "Marcel Carey" <mcpiano@globetrotter.net> wrote:

> Hello,
>
> A Yamaha C-5 owner is house shopping and has asked me if a radiant
> heating could harm her piano. I did a google search only to find out
> that this system heats the objects in a room and the objects then heat
> the surrounding air. Has any of you had experience with this kind of
> system? This system looks like a kind of microwave and I would be
> afraid that the piano could get heated up too much. She's asked me to
> find out if this system is or could be harmful for the piano.
>
> Can any of you lighten me up on this?
>
> Thanks,
>
> Marcel, RPT
>
> Marcel Carey
> Accordeur Technicien
> 2852 Dussault
> Rock Forest  QC  J1N 2V6
> (819) 564-0447
> mcpiano@globetrotter.net

Marcel,
 I service two buildings designed by Frank Lloyd Wright with radiant heat in
the floor. These systems are pumping liquid through pipes installed in
concrete floors.
    The Unitarian church has a special quilted cover with an extension that
wraps underneath the piano.  The Yamaha C7 is on a tripod as it gets moved
often.  The piano is very stable, however they do not have air conditioning
and in the Summer the humidity raises the pitch.  In this setting I service
the piano about once a month.
    The two German S & S Ds are in a private residence and are also very
stable.  Humidity control is with a humidifier/dehumidifier system in the
room. A carpenter made a plywood footprint that sits underneath the piano to
deflect the heat.  Additionally the plywood enhances the sound in this
studio as the floor, walls, reflect a live sound.
     I have observed that the temperature of the radiant system can be kept
lower and it is steady compared to a forced air system.
    Keep in Tune.

Joel
--
Joel A. Jones  RPT