Kimball La Petite

Mark Dierauf mark@nhpianos.com
Sun, 14 Mar 2004 09:27:33 -0500

-----Original Message-----
From: Tvak@aol.com [mailto:Tvak@aol.com]
Sent: Sunday, March 14, 2004 8:41 AM
To: pianotech@ptg.org
Subject: Re: Kimball La Petite

Tom Sivak wrote:

 Another unusual thing about this LaPetite:  there was a gap of at least
an inch between the stretcher and the plate which was shimmed with 4
pieces of plywood at three points along the gap. I do tune two other
LaPetites and I never noticed anything like this, and I think I would
have noticed.  I don't believe this was done in the factory, due to the
irregular shapes of the plywood shims.  They look like they were put in
there in haste.

Of course Kimball was well known for the extra time and effort they put
into their pianos ;-)

I serviced one of these once for a customer after I had specifically
advised her against the purchase. The dealer was footing the bill for
her first tuning, and after I had finished it she asked for my opinion
of her new piano. I thought for a moment and then replied "This piano
exhibits the kind of quality for which Kimball products are well known."
Try doing that with a straight face!

- Mark