Kimball La Petite

Rob Goodale rrg@unlv.nevada.edu
Sun, 14 Mar 2004 02:32:15 -0800

Indeed the "Fiasco" company of which you speak would certainly foot the =
bill on this one.  There is no way this instrument could be "new", as it =
hasn't been in production for many years, (not sure specifically but =
probably around 10 years at least).  If the client was told this was new =
and assuming that the sales agreement states this they have reasonable =
grounds for legal action.  As for the quality of this instrument we'll =
just say that it exemplifies why they are no longer in the piano =
business!

Rob Goodale, RPT
Las Vegas, NV

  List

  The piano in question: a Kimball La Petite.=20
  The dealer in question: infamous for rhyming with fiasco, among other =
things
  The question in question: Purchased less than a year ago as a new =
piano, the treble bridge has tiny cracks near the pins on the speaking =
side.  These cracks look just like the cracks you find on that 75 year =
old upright, emanating sideways from the pin in the direction of the =
pressure exerted by the string.  They're not big cracks, but they're big =
enough to be noticed while you casually tune a piano.  Pressing on the =
bridge pin doesn't seem to change the tone in any way, so I think the =
bridge pins are still secure in the bridge.

  And, truthfully, it doesn't seem to affect the tone at all: no false =
beats to speak of.  But I wonder in another 10 years if that will still =
be true. =20

  First of all, is this a problem that should be addressed?  Is it a =
manufacturer's problem or a dealer's problem?  Who makes Kimballs =
nowadays?  Would it just be easier for me to soak a little CA in there =
next time I tune it and just shut up?

  The owner of the piano, an elderly blind gentleman, has been with me =
for years and is a good client.  I didn't mention anything to him yet. =20

  I thought I'd get a little advice first...

  Thanks in advance,
  Tom Sivak
  Chicago