Kimball La Petite

Tvak@aol.com Tvak@aol.com
Sat, 13 Mar 2004 23:10:14 EST

List

The piano in question: a Kimball La Petite.
The dealer in question: infamous for rhyming with fiasco, among other things
The question in question: Purchased less than a year ago as a new piano, the
treble bridge has tiny cracks near the pins on the speaking side.   These
cracks look just like the cracks you find on that 75 year old upright, emanating
sideways from the pin in the direction of the pressure exerted by the string.
They're not big cracks, but they're big enough to be noticed while you
casually tune a piano.   Pressing on the bridge pin doesn't seem to change the tone
in any way, so I think the bridge pins are still secure in the bridge.

And, truthfully, it doesn't seem to affect the tone at all: no false beats to
speak of.   But I wonder in another 10 years if that will still be true.

First of all, is this a problem that should be addressed?   Is it a
manufacturer's problem or a dealer's problem?   Who makes Kimballs nowadays?   Would it
just be easier for me to soak a little CA in there next time I tune it and
just shut up?

The owner of the piano, an elderly blind gentleman, has been with me for
years and is a good client.   I didn't mention anything to him yet.

I thought I'd get a little advice first...

Thanks in advance,
Tom Sivak
Chicago