for your (radical turn)

A440A@aol.com A440A@aol.com
Sat, 13 Mar 2004 10:36:18 EST

Bill writes:
<< Now what was the subject, temperaments? <G> >>

Humm, now that you mention it....
    I had a new customer call me to tune a Steinway M yesterday.  Said that
he had decided to sell it and wanted it to sound its best.  Told me to do
whatever I thought would make it most attractive. So,  I tuned it in a Broadwood.
He sat down and played it.  His wife (also a musician and songwriter), came
downstairs and stood there.  Hint of rapture in the air...
    After a piece or two, he looked up and said, at the same time his wife
did, "This piano has never sounded this good!" Not sure they want to part with
it, now.
    Last week, a studio owner also had me tune, but asked to return to ET for
an overdub session that was going in E maj.  He told me that since he had
become used to the Coleman 11, the piano just sounds out of tune to him in ET and
wants to return to WT as soon as possible.
   Like I said last century,  this stuff will just not go away!  Politicians
will, but not the WTT's  (well-tempered tuners).
Regards,

Ed Foote RPT