dealer tunings

Piannaman@aol.com Piannaman@aol.com
Sat, 13 Mar 2004 10:15:43 EST

Rick,

Like Phil, I've had to struggle with dealers to get them to recognize that
the pianos usually need more than just a "tuning" before they get
delivered(sometimes they don't even get tuned first, especially at University sales or the
like).

Like Ric, I charge all customers--private client and dealership--for a 1 1/2
hour service call in a customer's home.  On my warranty service calls, I do
mostly new pianos.  The dealer gets a low, bulk rate.  In return, I get the
customer, as well as referrals for private clients.

Though I can get a pitch raise and tuning done in that time frame pretty
easily, I do add an extra 10.00 for it, if the piano was never tuned in-store(easy
to tell: tuners put a small round sticker on the inside of the case).  It IS
wear and tear on body and ears, and it shows unwillingness to prep the piano
in the store by the dealer.   If the piano was tuned in-store, I don't
charge(just as I do with private clients who tune their pianos on a 6 month or yearly
basis), because it shows an attempt by the dealer to get the piano ready.

If I go over 1 1/2 hours, I charge an hourly rate, based on 15 minute
increments of time.  It is half the rate I charge private clients.

There are times when easing keys, lubricating, or regulating the lost-motion
is a must in order to prevent future "sticky key" calls.  I have explained to
the dealer that it is cheaper to do this in-store or on the first service call
than to have someone go back because the customer "has a sticky key."  One of
them used to say "it's a warranty issue!"  NOT!  Since it takes so little
time, it usually only costs the store a few extra dollars and goes a long way
towards keeping the customer happy with the product, the store, and your ability
to service a piano properly.

When dealing with REAL warranty issues, I like to deal directly with
manufacturer's if possible.  Most have been helpful and prompt with both parts and
payment.

Hope this helps,

Dave Stahl