Damper lever felts, dents in

Sun, 7 Mar 2004 08:14:25 -0000

Hello List and Richard M who said:
"some of the damper lever felts are so indented from the pressure
of the damper spoon that that dent catches the spoon upon return and won't
allow the wip to return all the way.  Some others do return but much slower
than with the damper pedal depressed."
This is really an old problem with an old upright piano. The ony reason I
have found for such aggravated deressions in the damper tail felt is the
spoons themselves. They must be burnished. I'll bet you find thos spoons all
rough! I usually use a very, very fine emery pad on the spoons and, while
I'm at it, apply the same procedure to the damper lift rod. I have
frequently found the tail pads worn right through to the wood! They then
catch on the spoon and the lever hangs in there. This is common enough for
me to apply the "manual pull back" on any suspect damper if this condition
is suspected. Changing the tail cloths is also required.
Regards from a sun-drenched early Sunday in the Sussex Downs
Michael G (UK)