Seiler 180 voicing, frontscale noise questions

Isaac OLEG oleg-i@noos.fr
Sat, 6 Mar 2004 09:51:04 +0100

Hi,

that is funny because all comments when I read them  lend to the same result
more or less, but with different methods .

I just wanted to say that deep needling at 9h30 10:30 , if overdone, kills
too much of the "bottom power" of the hammer, and when it have been done (as
you say) yet, better leave those regions untouched if unsure of what we do.
Usually in those German factory they voice all the necessary stitches in the
shoulders (when the voicer is not too tired !) and the basic preparation of
the hammer have been well done.

However, may be they produce something adapted to the American taste and use
the Renner blue hammer for that reason, I believe you should have less
density in the tone with those hammers, as less of the lower felt regions
an be employed to power the tone. But I just have seen a few samples of
renner blue line hammers.

Roger comments on the duplex treatment is first class !

I'll add that working with 3 needles and more force mean more result , so
less needling (but more sore on the arms often !)

ZIngling = mating + power check & boost  is indeed the first reflex, that is
the way old Steinway are tweaked so to get rid of all capo noises.

Best to all.

Isaac OLEG

  After creating some resilience by deep needling in the 9:30 - 10:30 and
1:30 - 2:30 shoulder of the hammer (this may have already been done), to
eliminate noise in the capo section, deep needle from 10:30 - 11:30 and from
12:30 to 1:30.  Aim for a point where the felt joins the moulding on each
side of the hammer.  That will put the needle parallel to the moulding at
the 11:30 and 12:30 position and angled slightly in toward the moulding as
you move away from the strike point.    Stay away from and don't stitch
under the crown.  Use a single needle and insert it to it's full length, 8
mm's or so.  Be sure that the hammer has a good shape and is not flattened
on the top.  Do not mute the duplex, it will kill the tone too much.   Don't
voice this section in isolation.  Check back and forth against the tenor
section to keep the piano balanced.

  David Love
  davidlovepianos@earthlink.net