Seiler 180 voicing, frontscale noise questions

Fri, 5 Mar 2004 20:59:54 -0800

After creating some resilience by deep needling in the 9:30 - 10:30 and 1:30 - 2:30 shoulder of the hammer (this may have already been done), to eliminate noise in the capo section, deep needle from 10:30 - 11:30 and from 12:30 to 1:30.  Aim for a point where the felt joins the moulding on each side of the hammer.  That will put the needle parallel to the moulding at the 11:30 and 12:30 position and angled slightly in toward the moulding as you move away from the strike point.    Stay away from and don't stitch under the crown.  Use a single needle and insert it to it's full length, 8 mm's or so.  Be sure that the hammer has a good shape and is not flattened on the top.  Do not mute the duplex, it will kill the tone too much.   Don't voice this section in isolation.  Check back and forth against the tenor section to keep the piano balanced.

David Love
davidlovepianos@earthlink.net

To: pianotech@ptg.org
Sent: 3/5/2004 8:21:59 PM
Subject: Seiler 180 voicing, frontscale noise questions

Liszt,

I have a job coming up where I'll be working on a Seiler 180(5 10" grand).  I'll be at it all day, easing, lubing, regulating, tuning, and voicing.  These are really well-built German pianos, with Renner blue hammers, and full Renner actions, etc., etc.

I'm sure someone on this list has experience with these pianos.  I've worked on quite a few, but not to this extent.  I've tuned many, and done minor regulations on several, but have never voiced one.  I'm actually surprised that nobody has asked me to voice  because there are some really harsh overtones that emanate from the piano above the treble break.  I've muted some in the past by lacing felt through the strings and wedging it under the capo bar, with some success.  The customer knows about this method, but would prefer it voiced down, or so he says.

My main concern in this whole deal is that I've seen the results of a tech trying to "voice down" that section on a different piano.  The hammers are ruined.  They look like pin cushions, and sound like them too.

Can anyone offer advice on the voicing of these instruments?  M. Orobeek??  Anyone??

I've got a call in to the Seiler rep.  I'm certain he's heard this complaint before.  I'm curious what the company has to offer in terms of a fix.

Thanks in advance for any and all input,

Dave Stahl